Get Ready to tackle pet allergies by learning more about pet dander and what causes your allergies.
Many people believe that a pet’s hair causes allergy symptoms. That’s not the case. Animal dander includes proteins and saliva on the skin that cause allergy-symptoms when these particles flake off and are inhaled. Pets with longer hair don’t cause increased allergy symptoms, and unfortunately, even hypo-allergenic pets can cause allergies as they all produce dander.
Set: Understand these key points about pet dander:
- Pet allergies are from the dander made up of the animal’s shed skin cells. These tiny allergy-causing particles can remain in the air for a long time, where you have more opportunity to breathe them in.
- Dander is very sticky and can travel on clothes to cause allergies outside the home. Thorough cleaning is necessary to reduce dander levels at home.
- It can take 6 months for dander in your home to no longer cause allergies.
- Soft furnishings, bedding and carpets collect dander. Treating these areas is important, and using a HEPA air cleaner can be especially helpful since the dander remains airborne longer.
Guard: What’s Your Action Plan?
- We’re sad to say that the best action is to find a new home for your pet. If that’s not possible, keep your pet strictly out of your bedroom and wash your hands after all contact.